Growing Multiple SaaS Products in Parallel w/ Ryan Buckley
Subscribe and leave a review, would ya?
I met Ryan Buckley at MicroConf 2018. Ryan’s story is of the roller-coaster kind.
He is the founder of 3 different small SaaS that he was able to fund and code himself.
Before all that he built Scripted.com which was a venture-backed marketplace for hiring writers. It was interesting to hear the story of it, as is an industry I know something about.
He recently published a booked about the concept of Parallel Entrepreneurship. It is about running and growing different businesses simultaneously, balancing between then, doubling on your resources, and measuring the return on those investments.
[2:44] Parallel Entrepreneurship. Learning to code his own SaaS. Philosophy to choose the front stack.
- “My thesis is that your first 100 customers they’re not really going to care if your page reloads [or has fancy UX].”
- “The main problem that your app solves is not how slick is your UI.”
- “Understanding Model-View-Controller was, it, after that I feel I can build anything.”
[17:48] How he got into Toofr after working on a screenwriting software. Building Scripted.com and raising up to $16 millions.
- “Eventually we figured out it’s a lot easier to sell blogposts than to sell screenplays.”
[24:00] The different business models Scripted tried through the years. Exiting the company, through layoffs, second daughter coming, and cancer.
- “It’s a competitive market. There is a race to the bottom in the price per word high volume game.”
- “Tying back to the Parallel Entrepreneurship premise, I found a buyer for Scripted through Toofr, that was coming along at this point.”
[36:34] Parallel Entrepreneurship 2, or managing multiple ventures.
- “The high level concept is finding win-win-win situation.”
[40:40] Context switching, or switching between learning mode and administrative mode.
- “The next version of this Parallel Entrepreneurship lifestyle is to not being completely solo.”
- Ryan Buckley on Twitter
- Ryan Buckley’s SaaS apps, Toofr, Inlistio.com, Voxloca.com, eNPS.co
- The Parallel Entrepreneur Book
- Ryan Buckley on Medium
- MicroConf 2018
- PostgreSQL DB
- Ruby On Rails
- React js
- Knockout js
- Vue js
- Angular js
- Node js
- Ryan Kulp on the Productize Podcast
- MVC – Model View Controller frameworks
- Navigant Consulting
- Google acquires Writely
- Ten things I learned in 10 years of doing this – Ryan Buckley
- My Thyroid Got Cancer – Ryan Buckley
- Josh Pigford on the Productize Podcast