Automating a SaaS to World Traveling w/ Brandon Pearce
Subscribe and leave a review, would ya?
Today you are going to hear my conversation with Brandon Pearce. He is running a couple different things.
Brandon is the founder of Music Teacher’s Helper, a SaaS niched down into the music teaching space. What’s interesting is that he’s been running that for over 14 years. He built it up, he automated it, he’s got a team in place, and he completely removed himself from the day to day. That allowed him and his family to travel the world full-time!
Brandon is very much running the location independent lifestyle. He and his wife have really dove in into that whole world and built a whole community around that. That what’s they publish and write about, and run conferences and events over on PearceOnEarth.com.
Really interesting talking about that whole location independent thing, something that I’m forever interested in and fascinated by, and I know that a lot of founders and online business owners like us we do have that option available to us.
[2:54] How Brandon came to build Music Teacher’s Helper. Spinning of.
- “It’s easier to support a musician’s hobby on a programmer’s salary, not the other way around.”
[11:10] Bootstrapping Marketing. Conferences. Offering free websites to teachers.
[13:42] Scaling and removing himself from the business. Constantly developing new features.
- “There’s a misconception with SaaS that you can reach a point where you write the whole thing and then you’re done.”
[17:40] Pearce On Earth. Traveling full-time. Wolrdschooling kids.
- “In Utah, we were pulled in many directions, but we felt we were stagnating in our growth.”
- “Somebody close passed away and it woke us up to the fact that life can be really short.”
[27:20] Friends, family, and long term relationships while traveling.
- “I don’t think it takes years and years of living in one location to develop meaningful relationships.”
- “You have to learn to say goodbye.”
[30:59] Family Adventure Summit. Annual event for families interested in long term travel, alternative education, entrepreneurship.
- “The family leading the How To Travel Affordably academy was traveling for the past 6 years on a $25k budget a year. 2 kids, 40 countries!”
- Brandon Pearce on Twitter
- Brandon Pearce’s company, Music Teacher’s Helper
- Brandon Pearce’s blog, Pearce On Earth
- Family Adventure Summit
- Into the Wind – Documentary
- San Miguel de Allende on Wikipedia
- Music Teacher’s National Association
- 4 Hour Work Week